Re: localhost.localdomain

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:04:09PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 08 October 2005 22:07, Jeff Stevens wrote:
> > "localhost.localdomain" and "localhost" must be swapped.  The first
> > entry in the list of hosts *must* be "localhost".

> You make quite a lot of noise it this mail, but I fail to find any real
> arguments. (Unless you consider saying "this should be so" or "this is
> wrong" an argument.)

> You give nice explanations how things work, but fail to say anywhere why
> having localhost.localdomain first is so wrong.
> What breaks? What standards (with reference please) are not honored?

Well, even if Jeff didn't provide anything helpful in this regard, the
thread does show at least two specific packages that break when using
localhost.localdomain as the canonical name for 127.0.0.1: mysql, and inn.
Yes, it is appropriate to fix both of these applications to be more robust;
however,

> What alternative solutions do you propose for the problems that led up to
> it being included?

I can't actually see anything in the bug log to indicate that
localhost.localdomain *does* solve any of the issues that were raised.