Re: alternative for pdf-viewer

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:32:53PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Steffen Joeris <steffen.joeris@skolelinux.de> wrote:
>> > Is it possible to get an alternative for a pdf-viewer, so that you can
>> > choose /etc/alternatives/pdf-viewer in the code and this will link to a free
>> > viewer, e.g. kghostview or gpdf?
>>
>> Can't you just use "see $filename" and rely on the mailcap entry?
>
> That's my suggestion too.
>
> There's a whacky bug report against Xpdf about this (#257651).
> I still don't know what to do with it.

If using mailcap.order is indeed "quite tricky for most people" as the
submitter writes, maybe it would be better to implement some interactive
frontend frontend¹ for mailcap.order.  This would solve the problem
generally, not only for pdf files, and fix or prevent similar bugs for
other types of files.

Regards, Frank

¹it would parse /etc/mailcap and/or /usr/lib/mime/ and generate a list
of MIME types with their associated programs, allow to select one of
them to take priority, and create the mailcap.order file accordingly

--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich