Re: localhost.localdomain

On 06-Oct-05, 08:25 (CDT), Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> wrote:
> It's being long-standing does not mean it's correct.

No, but it doesn't make changing it correct, either.

Again: what actual technical problem is solved by
'localhost.localdomain"? Is solving that problem worth the potential
breakage of existing code that assumes gethostbyaddr( ==
"localhost". Note that I'm not arguing such code is correct, but I don't
see the need to pointlessly break it.

There are lots of long-standing characteristics of Unix systems that
are not required by RFCs or Posix standards, yet we don't go about
arbitrarily changing them.

Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net