Re: curl status update

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 02:37:35PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 29, Domenico Andreoli <cavok@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > to build something with libcurl, one has to install either
> > libcurl3-openssl-dev or libcurl3-gnutls-dev. the built package will
> > depend on libcurl3 (with openssl) or libcurl3-gnutls respectively.
> Why is openssl the default?
> I think everybody agrees that in the long period everybody will want to
> use gnutls, which is supposed to have the same features but does not
> have licensing issues.

That's actually not true, GnuTLS has the reverse licensing issues from
OpenSSL. OpenSSL cannot be linked with GPL-licensed software; GnuTLS,
OTOH, is licensed under the GPL (as opposed to the LGPL), so cannot be
linked to applications that do not want to be distributed under the
terms of the GPL (or applications that have a GPL-incompatible license,
for that matter).

pavement is precisely one bananosecond