Re: libpng10(/2) gone, [gdk-]imlib1 and GNOME 1 going -- check your packages

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 12:05:32AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> Furthermore, the plan is to remove GNOME 1 entirely, as noted at:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2005/06/msg00025.html
>>
>> If your package depends on one of these and you wish to keep it in Debian,
>> please convert it to libpng12 and/or imblib11 and/or libimlib2 and/or
>> GNOME 2, so that it not depend on any of the above.  :-P
>>
>> If your package is a GNOME 1 package, please consider filing a bug with
>> ftp.debian.org requesting the removal of your package from unstable.
>
> What if it's a non-GNOME-core package that uses GNOME 1?
> gnucash and gpredict, for example.
>
> gpredict is still maintained upstream but the author has not migrated to
> GNOME 2 yet. Of course if it were trivial or there was a good tutorial I
> might be able to assist; however I don't know the GNOME/GTK API yet.
>
>> Is a mass bug filing warranted?  :-P
>
> Is this package removal warranted, or simply aesthetically pleasing?

There is no need to remove gnome-1 packages at this point, since
gnucash (which I maintain) still need them.

If there are bugs, or maintainers actually needed, I'm happy to put my
name on.  But so far, that hasn't required any actual work.

Do not delete packages just because you think nobody *should* use
them; delete them because nobody *does* use them.  Right now, the
gnome-1 packages are still used.

Thomas