Re: better init.d/* : who carres ?

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Steve Greenland wrote:
> "Evil" seems a strong term. There are other issues that sheer execution
> speed, and for init scripts, like most things, readability and

Let's not forget that using stuff from /usr in an early initscript, or in
one that could work without /usr (e.g. because the daemon is in /sbin) is a
VERY BAD THING.

> maintainability (which are closely related) are far more important. A 3s
> gain in boot speed is pretty irrelevant, in the global scheme of things.

Not on embedded systems, or in any stuff that needs to be instantly
available (until we have fast-as-all-heck memory sw-suspend working
properly, that is).

  Henrique Holschuh