Re: architecture-specific release criteria - requalification needed

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Before you talk about the color of the car could we maybe first say
> what kind of car we are building?
>
> What I mean is that there are several issues overlapping here and you
> are attacking the last and least urgent issue first.

Well, it is the release team speaking, they deal only with the last issue.
And there is absolutely no reason for them to wait on any of the other
issues at all, if they already know what they want.  SCC might not even be
under the release team's umbrella, for all we know of the future.

IMHO it is much better to get the release criteria out NOW, and thus let
people adapt and react to it with enough time to actually manage to fix
problems, so that an arch that would not be released ends up being released.

> 3. Define criteria for releases
>
> This should realy be done after 2 is implemented and some experience
> has been made. There is hardly a point in deciding what gets released

Not really.  It just depends on how well the release team knows about what
is going to cause them trouble without the need for SCC insight.

> a) this is needed for the RM team to include the arch
> b) this is needed if the port team wants to make a release (and call
>    it official)

IMHO (b) is quite tied to SCC, and it is better discursed along with SCC.

  Henrique Holschuh