php5 + apache2 + FastCgiExternalServer, anyone?

Hey folks,

  Has anyone gotten the setup mentioned in the subject to work as
advertised? The config I'm using is:

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
  <Location /fcgi-bin/>
   Options ExecCGI
   SetHandler fastcgi-script
  FastCGIExternalServer /fcgi-bin/php5-cgi -host
  AddType application/x-httpd-fastphp5 .php
  Action application/x-httpd-fastphp5 /fcgi-bin/php5-cgi

And yet apache2 doesn't want to connect to the -host host, instead it
launches the binary mentioned in Action and uses it to handle the requests.
Maybe I'm reading the docs incorrectly
but apache fails to serve the PHP requests if /fcgi-bin/ is not found in the
docroot and if the php5-cgi binary doesn't exist in it. Am I doing something
wrong or is it, perhaps, a bug in the mod_fastcgi module (or documentation
thereof)? I would appreciate any help/hints/doc pointers regarding the issue,