php5 + apache2 + FastCgiExternalServer, anyone?

Hey folks,

  Has anyone gotten the setup mentioned in the subject to work as
advertised? The config I'm using is:

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
  <Location /fcgi-bin/>
   Options ExecCGI
   SetHandler fastcgi-script
  </Location>

  FastCGIExternalServer /fcgi-bin/php5-cgi -host 127.0.0.1:5555

  AddType application/x-httpd-fastphp5 .php
  Action application/x-httpd-fastphp5 /fcgi-bin/php5-cgi
</IfModule>

And yet apache2 doesn't want to connect to the -host host, instead it
launches the binary mentioned in Action and uses it to handle the requests.
Maybe I'm reading the docs incorrectly
(http://www.fastcgi.com/mod_fastcgi/docs/mod_fastcgi.html#FastCgiExternalServer)
but apache fails to serve the PHP requests if /fcgi-bin/ is not found in the
docroot and if the php5-cgi binary doesn't exist in it. Am I doing something
wrong or is it, perhaps, a bug in the mod_fastcgi module (or documentation
thereof)? I would appreciate any help/hints/doc pointers regarding the issue,

tia,

marek