Re: Debian Security Host Bandwidth Saturation

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 07:11:53PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> The recently released security update of XFree86 in DSA 816 for sarge
> and woody has caused the host security.debian.org to saturate its
> 100MBit/s network connection entirely.  Due to the large number of X
> packages, the gross size of these packages and the high number of
> users who need to install the update, the server is busy sending out
> updates which exhaust its total outgoing bandwidth.

Just a note about the fact that the X packages caused this situation.

The X Strike Force is currently planning to transition to the upcoming
modular build system for xorg-x11. Right now we're preparing the last major
round of monolithic packages (the 6.9 series) but we'll be transitioning to
the modular series as soon as possible.

The modular packages will prevent this sort of thing from happening in the
future. While this will continue to be a problem throughout the lifetime of
sarge, hopefully for etch and beyond the X packages won't be a culprit for
this sort of issue.

 - David Nusinow