Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

Matthew Garrett writes:

> Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
>> As you point out elsewhere, total fabrications can be invented to
>> support any claim, but DFSG freedom questions should be limited to
>> what the license imposes on or requires from users.
>
> What's the point in us worrying about licenses granting freedoms that
> can't actually be exercised in life? There is no "freedom not to be
> sued", so it's impossible for a license to contravene that.

There are the DFSG freedoms to not have to pay a fee and to not be
discriminated against, and licenses can contravene those.  Even though
a sociopath can impose costs on an arbitrary person, we should not
treat being vicimized by a sociopath as the baseline for freedom.

Michael Poole