Re: better init.d/* : who carres ?

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 17.15, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> Make sure you use only POSIX features when doing this. I think
> "grep -o" is a GNU extension, FreeBSD doesn't have it for example.

Doesn't the 'only POSIX' apply to the shell code only?  At least, shouldn't
it be judged on a per-tool basis?  While awk is (was?) usually mawk on
Debian, and not gawk, I don't think anybody uses a BSD grep on their Debian
system.  Please don't standardise on a minimal future set only for the
corner case that somebody cripples his system beyond every reassonable
limit.

The 'POSIX shell' rule is here for a reason:  there are people with /bin/sh
being not bash.  For other tools, this rule can be relaxed, imho.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Ich kenne niemanden, der so oft Recht hat wie ich.
		-- Arno Schmidt