Re: how to fully replace another package

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 10:00 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Right, it's not used but it's checked.
> But then there is still /etc/hotplug.d/default/default.hotplug, which if
> present will create all kinds of troubles.

Let me get one more thing straight before we move on ...

What's the sequence of calls that leads to this code being invoked?
Somehow I thought it was like this:

1. kernel hotplug subsystem detects an event
2. kernel dispatches the event handling using the program named
in /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug (default is /sbin/hotplug) passing it any
necessary argument(s) to hotplug
3. /sbin/hotplug dispatches the request to the appropriate handler named
in the first argument
3a. if a specific handler isn't found, any handler(s) in the default
directory are called

So doesn't this all fail if /sbin/hotplug is missing?  And if that is
so, why is this a problem if the hotplug package is removed but not
purged?

Or does your coldplug package provide a /sbin/hotplug that still
reads /etc/hotplug.d, and if so, why?

I do see that on a udev system, /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug is something
else (/sbin/udevsend).  Is that part of the problem?  If so, how?

Ben