Re: Results of the meeting in Helsinki about the Vancouver proposal

* Olaf van der Spek

| On 8/24/05, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:
| > * Olaf van der Spek
| >
| > | I understand most maintainers don't try the new toolchain themselves,
| > | but wouldn't it be possible for someone else to build the entire
| > | archive (or parts of it by multiple people) and (automatically) report
| > | bugs?
| >
| > With the toolchain, it won't help to just rebuild the archive on a
| > fast architecture: A single AMD64 system can rebuild the archive in a
| > couple of days, but few other architectures can.
|
| Wouldn't that at least catch the non-platform-specific bugs?

They are usually caught fairly quickly.  The problem here is what to
do in the cases where nobody cares enough about the port to fix
toolchain breakages which only affect that arch.  If we have a broken
toolchain across all architectures, it's something different.

| And what about cross-compiling?

Cross-compilation is prone to failures and not really a good
solution.  This has been discussed here a lot before.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-