Tcl8.0-dev dependency and automake?

Hi,

I will prepare the upgrade from wordnet version 2.0 to 2.1.  Happily upstream
added automake support.  The new tarball is avialable at
     http://wordnet.princeton.edu/2.1/WordNet-2.1.tar.gz
I faced the following problem:

Formerly (version 2.0) I compiled wordnet nicely with tcl8.4-dev Build-Depends.
If I run ./configure I get

checking for Tcl configuration... configure: WARNING: Can't find Tcl configuration definitions

When I try

    $ auto-apt -x -y run
    > ./configure

the package tcl8.0-dev and its dependencies will be installed.  I have absolutely
no idea about Tcl/Tk issues but it smells that tcl8.4-dev is not a full featured
replacement for tcl8.0-dev.  This sounds a little bit sad to me because I do not
want to step back in the version numbers of the dependencies if this is not really
necessary.

Any idea whether

  a) this is a bug of tcl8.4-dev package or if this behaviour is intended
  b) this should be fixed in the wordnet source.  I tried a quick shot

$ grep -i tcl * | grep -i version
acinclude.m4:    # installed and uninstalled version of Tcl.
acinclude.m4:#    AC_SUBST(TCL_VERSION)
configure:ac_subst_vars='SHELL PATH_SEPARATOR PACKAGE_NAME PACKAGE_TARNAME PACKAGE_VERSION PACKAGE_STRING PACKAGE_BUGREPORT exec_prefix prefix program_transform_name bindir sbindir libexecdir datadir sysconfdir sharedstatedir localstatedir libdir includedir oldincludedir infodir mandir build_alias host_alias target_alias DEFS ECHO_C ECHO_N ECHO_T LIBS CC CFLAGS LDFLAGS CPPFLAGS ac_ct_CC EXEEXT OBJEXT RANLIB ac_ct_RANLIB INSTALL_PROGRAM INSTALL_SCRIPT INSTALL_DATA CPP EGREP LIBOBJS CYGPATH_W PACKAGE VERSION ACLOCAL AUTOCONF AUTOMAKE AUTOHEADER MAKEINFO install_sh STRIP ac_ct_STRIP INSTALL_STRIP_PROGRAM mkdir_p AWK SET_MAKE am__leading_dot AMTAR am__tar am__untar DEPDIR am__include am__quote AMDEP_TRUE AMDEP_FALSE AMDEPBACKSLASH CCDEPMODE am__fastdepCC_TRUE am__fastdepCC_FALSE TCL_LIB_SPEC TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC TK_LIB_SPEC TK_LIBS TK_XINCLUDES TK_PREFIX LTLIBOBJS'
configure:    # installed and uninstalled version of Tcl.
configure:#    AC_SUBST(TCL_VERSION)

    which did not showed any explicite dependency from a certain Tcl version.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de