Re: Bruce Perens hosts party at OSCON Wednesday night

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Michael K. Edwards wrote:

> On 8/2/05, Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:
> > Unsolicited Commercial Email.  Please pay the standard $2000 fee for
> > advertisments on Debian mailing lists.
>
> Adam, I'm kind of curious what you mean by that.  What, if any, actual
> or proposed statutory standard for UCE did you have in mind when you
> called Bruce's message UCE?  What, if anything, are or should be the
> consequences if he doesn't pay $2000 to whomever you had in mind?  How
> can I tell whether a message I'm thinking of sending will trigger the
> same penalties?  How do people receive notice of this standard?

If you consider a message sent by Random Joe User to meet those guidelines.
Being a member of the community does not give one the right to ignore the
rules.

The only thing that made this UCE was that he was asking for people to bring
resumes for possible hire.  If he had just said that he weas going to be at
such and such a place at such and such a time, then I would have ignored it.