Re: How to use svn(-buildpackage) with pbuilder?

W Borgert <debacle@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 03:49:54PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>> Look down the thread -- your question was answered:
>>
>> Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:03:03 +0200
>> From: Arjan Oosting <arjanoosting@home.nl>
>>
>> It is, the orig.tar.gz is created if you do a
>>  FORCEEXPORT=yes svn-buildpackage

> Works OK, thanks.  There should be an automatised way: If it's a
> 'xxx-1' version (first package of an upstream release), the
> .orig.tar.gz should be created, otherwise not.

I'm not sure why someone would want to do this rather than using the
svn-buildpackage support for a separate tarballs directory.  Maybe because
the tarballs directory itself isn't in Subversion and therefore isn't
easily accessible to any system with access to the repository?  That could
be easily fixed....

I think it's very important to use the upstream tarball exactly as it was
downloaded from upstream whenever possible, since that way (as previously
mentioned) signatures are still valid, MD5 checksums are still valid, etc.
The exception would be when you have to repackage upstream because of
non-free files or similar problems.