Re: Public service announcement about Policy 10.4

Joey Hess wrote:
> Unless, of course, it's a shell library that would like to be reasonably
> portable without being wholey crippled by lack features that have been
> in every shell worth the name for ages.

I know that the debconf library used "local" (#242011) and I agree
that "local" is an example of a shell feature whose use we should
not be discouraging.  That's why it is proposed that "local" be
added (alongside "echo -n") as an exception to the POSIX-only rule
expressed in 10.4.  (Both bash and dash support "local".)  If you
agree then it would be helpful to mention this in #294962.

--
Thomas Hood