Re: unreproducable bugs

On 7/15/05, Rich Walker <rw@shadow.org.uk> wrote:
> "Michael K. Edwards" <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 7/15/05, Manoj Srivastava va, manoj <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> >>         What's with the recent push to get every little things written
> >>  down into policy, so the developer no longer is required to have an
> >>  ability to think, or exercise any judgement whatsoever?
> >
> > Welcome to the software industry in 2005.
>
> Yes, to rely on 1300 developers to all think of your cunning method of
> solving a problem clearly makes sense. After all, to *write down* a
> technique that solves the problem, and make it available to all of them
> would stilt their creativity, hinder their intellect, and prevent the
> development of a consistent style!

I am having a hard time reading this as anything but a non sequitur.
Personally, I prefer for a solution to be demonstrated to work, both
socially and technically, before it is enshrined in policy.  Drafts
are, of course, welcome at any stage.  "Rough consensus and running
code."  YMMV.

> Sheesh, next you'll be arguing in favour of personal indentation styles!

Well, yes -- as long as the indent / emacs-mode / vim-mode
incantations that reproduce them are well documented, preferably in a
magic comment at the end of each file.  :-)

Cheers,
- Michael