Re: "How to recognise different ETCH wishlists from quite a long way away" (revised)

ma, 2005-07-11 kello 19:40 +0200, Eduard Bloch kirjoitti:
> To be honest, I had a similar idea before: every upload has to be
> approved by at least one additional Debian developer. This would
> decrease the probability for really broken uploads (because of stupid
> mistakes or beeing on drugs or whatever).
>
> The work itself can be automated well, I imagine an IRC channel
> #debian-uploads-looking-for-approval.

That's a lot of manual work and that is, almost by definition, bad.
Create automated checks instead. For example, just to plug my own
current thing, don't accept the upload unless it passes piuparts
checking, that is, can be installed and removed without ill effects.

And, because Steven Kowalik is sitting on my left side right now,
talking loudly to his laptop, run linda on it and see that it doesn't
find any errors. (Add a way to have an override file for the few cases
when linda is wrong and the package is right, or, of course, fix linda.)

But don't make programmers do more manual work than they absolutely have
to. That won't do any good in the long run.