Re: configure a program -- debconf abuse?

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:26:33AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Peter Palfrader (weasel@debian.org):
> > OTOH, if there is a sensible default (and there is for jed), just pick
> > one and be done with it.  No need to burden the admin with yet another
> > question.
> I beg to disagree here. As long as an appropriate priority is used
> (here, probably low) and the requirements mentioned by Petter are met
> too, I don't see why using debconf for its purpose would harm,
> actually.

Policy 3.10.1 says "Package maintainer scripts may prompt the user if
necessary." Is it necessary to ask this question when there is a
sensible default?

I thought policy said something stronger than that, but I seem to be
wrong. Best practice used to be to ask questions only when there was no
sensible default whatsoever. Not to ask everything possible just because
you can.