Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies

Hello

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:39:04PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:57:58PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 05:21:51PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > >  `Depends'
> > >       This declares an absolute dependency.  A package will not be
> > >       configured unless all of the packages listed in its `Depends'
> > >       field have been correctly configured.
> >
> > This phrasing is obviously wrong as you can install packages with
> > circular dependencies. This phrasing say exactly what Pre-Depends is.
> >
> > Depends should be described as follows:
> >
> >   `Depends'
> >        This declares an absolute dependency.  A package will not be
> >        configured unless all of the packages listed in its `Depends'
> >        field have been correctly unpacked.
>
> This is incorrect. Depends is as described in policy, with the addition
> that dpkg will arbitrarily break loops.
>
> For the meaning of Pre-Depends, see policy.

I stand corrected.

Interesting. Maybe the arbitrary loop thing can be documented too in
the policy, or otherwise it should be not allowed. Interesting that
I have missed this delicate problem.

Actually I think that it should be two types of dependencies. One
for normal dependencies, that is just need the other software unpacked
to work, and one for must not be configured until other ones is
configured. This can probably help a lot.

Regards,

// Ola