Preferred way to genereate a gpg key?

While I was reading Developer's Reference [1], in the part about gpg
keys, it says:

"You need a type 4 key for use in Debian Development. Your key length [...]"

I supposed that it refers about the "gpg --gen-key" command, and the
options that result from executing it. Also I remember that, *in the
past*, it was a "4" option which was something about ElGamal sign and
encryption, or something like that. But now, in the Sarge's version of
gpg, there is only option 1,2, and 5.

So, I ask: now what is the preferred way to generete a gpg key to
become a debian developer? The "4" expression, and my interpretation,
in that paragraph is it correct?

Just want to know. And if it is a bug, I hope somebody could change it
to avoid confusion.

Thanks.

Erick.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/ch-new-maintainer.en.html

--
"Libertad es aún la idea más radical de todas."
---Nathaniel Branden