Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
Enrico Zini dijo [Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:49:39PM +0200]:

I've been it_IT.UTF-8 for quite a while with no problems.  And I also
get to be able to write the name of my girlfriend, which Latin1 cannot
encode, together with accented Italian words, which BIG5 cannot encode.

Hmmmm... Silly me thought that Italian was the only Latin language
which used no diacritics. Which kind of accents does it have?

Even en_GB has diacritics.

Hopefully all this encoding problems disappear with the growing popularity of UNICODE/UTF-8.

E.g. besides German, Hungarian, Slowenian und Croation are official languages here in Austria, which must be supported through local government. Choosing Latin1 is a common mistake, 'Eastern Latin' would be the better choice. Besides it would IMHO be more political correct to write the names of all the Polish, Balkan, French, Eastern, Scandinavian and Latinos living here with original diacritics.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer