Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

* Humberto Massa Guimarães (humberto.massa@almg.gov.br) [050615 14:07]:
> > Not really, because the DFSG is not supposed to apply to trademarks.
>
> This is the center of Wouter's and Marco's argument, IMHO. But I don't
> see anything in the DFSG restricting it to copyrights or excluding
> trademarks or patents. So, it is my Humble Opinion that DFSG#8 applies
> broadly.

Apart from the historical fact that the DFSG was never written with
trademarks in mind - it speak about licenses, which is _not_ the
thing attached with Trademarks usually (as Trademarks are regulated by
really different laws than Licenses; the first ones are more or less a
monopole handed out by the state, whereas the second ones are
contracts).

Cheers,
Andi