Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 03:26:11PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> People seem to be using DFSG 4 as a justification for keeping the
> name, but I believe that is flawed. DFSG 4 allows for a license to say
> "if you meet conditions X, you can use our name, otherwise you
> can't". So the TeX guys have a test suite and specifications that you
> have to pass to call the software TeX. What if the license said "You
> can call the program TeX if it's part of Debian". Would we still call
> it TeX?

That's not what the Mozilla Foundation is doing.

They're saying "you can call it firefox if you adhere to our standards,
and we will determine whether you do". Next, they have determined that
Debian is adhering to their standards, so they allow us to call it
firefox.

Anyone who gets firefox from Debian has the same rights under the
trademark license: either they ask the Mozilla Foundation whether they
adhere to their standards, or they rename the thing.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond