Re: Inconsistent handling of sourceless packages in main

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 07:12:52AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Moin Goswin!
> > Goswin von Brederlow schrieb am Donnerstag, den 19. Mai 2005:
> >
> >> IMHO debian-installer in unacceptable as it causes GPL violations.
> >> Interlocking the debian-installer builds with the exact source
> >> Any ideas? Comments? Solutions?
> >
> > Relax, there is no problem. (The same was as there is no problem with
> > boot-floppies, beeing in Woody without the correct source. Nobody did
> > care in the last 3 years).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Eduard.
> > --
> > In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain
>
> I do care. But I also have no evil intention and won't sue.
>
> I mainly care for the bloat for ia32-libs and similar
> packages. Creating a 300MB ia32-OOo package and uploading that on each
> change was/is insane enough to release amd64/ia64 without it.
>
> But I can't in good faith fight for doing it the debian-installer way
> and build debs that will regulary be without source. It would be hard
> to convince ftp-master to do the "wrong" thing after they already
> decided to do the "right" thing anyway.
>
> That's why I'm looking for any idea to have binaries rebuild from debs
> in debian without risking them being sourceless. Maybe a patch for the
> DAK and an extra entry in the control file? Come on, spin your minds,
> think of something. :)

The above is a bit sparce on details of what exactly is the issue here.
debian-installer builds use udeb's, and work is underway to not only
keep those udeb's used last, but the udeb's for all d-i builds on the
mirror network. If a udeb or deb is on the mirrors, the corresponding
source is too, that's already ensured.

So what is exactly the problem? Are you referring to libraries taken
from regular .deb's, mangled and used in the initrd's? That's indeed a
point, but not (much) different from the static linking issue we're
already facing with any normal library in Debian -- there is a
copy-on-compile, so the library that was staticly linked to, might move
on and gain new source lines/drop them.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar