Re: Some bits of experience gained from handling upgrade-reports.

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:16:05PM -0700, Stephen Birch wrote:
> Bill
>
> Just out of curiosity, when testing the upgrade procedure how do you
> select the mix of packages installed prior to the upgrade?

So far I was using the set of packages provided by the submitters of
upgrade-reports, so I could investigate them.

The plan is to install (for a etch package $PKG):

1) the sarge version of $PKG (if it exists)

2) the sarge version of the dependencies of $PKG (if they exist)

3) The sarge packages Replaced: by $PKG

4) Any sarge packages containing files now found in $PKG.

4) Manually added packages.

Another approach I have tried was to split sarge arbitrarily in block of 100
packages, install them (and the dependencies of course) and attempt the
upgrade for each block.

I suppose we can improve the process, but whatever test we end up doing
will be better than none.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>