Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 17:25, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:13:16AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña
wrote:
> > to find their own (sometimes flawed) solution to a very common problem.
>
> Years using Linux: 10.
> Times I've absolutely needed an X-less boot when an XDM was installed: 0.

If you were really using Linux 10 years ago, you must have had some great
hardware that you only ever booted into X, or you just never installed any
XDM at all, instead of just running it when it was needed. X sucked up an
enourmous amount of memory and resources on a 386 with a few megs of RAM,
but it was a great way to run Mosaic. =)

> How common was that problem you were trying to solve, again?

Anyway, I'm not arguing for the defaults being either way, but just because
it's not common for you, doesn't mean it's not common in general.

I don't often customize runlevels very much, but usually the first thing I
do when I install a Debian system is remove all the xdm's from 2 and 3 and
add them to 5. I switch between those all the time on systems that are
mostly lights servers but sometimes need to become desktops on the fly when
an extra warm body shows up.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>