Re: automated updates of debian/changelog considered harmful

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 10:04:45PM +0200, Christian Aichinger wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:09:35PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > Woah, it's not okay for sourceful uploads either. You *cannot* change
> > anything that goes into the source package at build time. This
> > includes the top entry in changelog and the source section of the
> > control file. Trying to do this *will not work*.

> > At the point when the changes are made, the source package HAS ALREADY
> > BEEN BUILT. What happens is that the changes made in the currentx build
> > get included in the *next* source package you build from the same
> > tree, so the source and binary are perpetually out of sync. This is
> > BAD.

> Cdbs lets you generate debian/control dynamically, via a control.in
> file, where e.g. @cdbs@ is substituted for build-deps needed by cdbs
> (which already caused bugs in the past), among other things.

This is supposedly being fixed for cdbs2 to no longer happen at package
build time.

The -devel rant about that particular misfeature of cdbs was postponed until
after the sarge release; I'm not sure it's any longer necessary.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer