Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

Le mercredi 08 juin 2005 à 20:06 +0200, Marco d'Itri a écrit :
> On Jun 08, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > FFS! When will people learn to not mess with other cultures they know
> > > nothing about?
> > > Feel free to advocate a different default charset for *your* locale, but
> > > do not pretend to know what's better for other locales.
> > As we have hundreds of broken packages assuming e.g. that the filenames
> > on disk are encoded in the current locale's character set, the only way
> > to make them interact properly with other applications is to set a
> > UTF8-locale.
> Wrong. The problem is packages which need to interact with text files,
> mail and usenet messages generated by broken software, and for which
> assuming UTF-8 would be totally wrong.

Please come up with real-life examples. Most mail software in Debian, as
well as a good share of our text editors, can deal with several
character sets. The only limitation is nano, our default text editor.
Apart from it, I don't have anything broken with the UTF8 locale I've
been using for a year. On the other side, I can come up with a great
bunch of applications that break with a non-UTF8 locale, starting with
bash and ls.

> Again, do not mess with cultures you do not understand.

No comment.