Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

David Nusinow(david_nusinow@verizon.net)@2005-06-06 12:07:
> > > Is it your hope that the debian project will switch to the new software
> > > so ubuntu can stop running an independent bug tracker?
> >
> > I think that's pretty unlikely, personally ...
>
> Would it be of a lot of benefit to us if it could be done? I'd personally
> rather not have Debian's BTS be the second place that people go to look for
> bug reports.

I didn't phrase the question very well. I didn't mean to suggest that
a third party (Ubuntu) would maintain the bug database nor run the
BTS software.  Debian should (and must) maintain its own bug database and
control the BTS access software.

The question was really this, if Ubuntu created a better bug tracking
program would Debian want to run the new software on the debian
servers thus replacing the current bug tracking programs?

If not, I don't really understand why Ubuntu would want to put effort
into writing new BTS.  I thought the intention was to help avoid
duplicate bug tracking efforts.

I think you can see that I'm pretty confused about how Ubuntu is
planning to minimize duplication, or did I not understand the
intention :-(

Steve