Re: The story of speex/vorbis-tools, or how not to be disservicing to our users

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 08:38:07PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:

>   Library maintainers
>   -------------------
>
>     Please treat the maintainers of packages build-depending on your
>     library as first-class users. Try to always be aware of what
>     consequences will your acts have for them, and communicate when
>     necessary.

Since not everyone subscribes to d-d, is there a n easy way to do this?
Would a change in a library that is officially depended on by more than
X packages qualify to be sent out via d-d-a?  Or does there is exist
some alias that a library maintainer could a mail to?  For example, if I
maintain a library with a source package name of foo and I could send a
message to foo-dependents@qa.debian.org and the system could figure
out, based on the maintainer info kept for each package, a list of email
addresses, that would be very nice.  That way, by sending one message,
the maintainers of all dependent packages ar notified.  This would be
especially good for packages which have many dependents.

Just my $.02.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez