Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

There isn't much that I can do about packages that I don't maintain; we have
some tools for this, but it is primarily a matter of personal preference
(and not Debian dogma) how packages are maintained in Debian.
We have certain ways to change things: There is a technical commitee, there
is the general resolution, etc.

If there is
some concrete way that you feel that we can help encourage team-oriented
maintenance of packages, I'd like to hear it.
What about taking part in discussions of the relevant development lists.
I just noticed that there is a zope-debhelper in Ubuntu.  The idea for this
came up a long time ago in Debian (before Ubuntu even existed).  Why
not announcing this at the relevant list? Just in case the list is unknown:

So now I did what IMHO the Ubuntu maintainer of zope-epoz (a package maintained
by me in Debian) should have done: Offered group maintainance to him and
informed the list about this.  The measurable profit that Ubuntu would have
deserved if they would have moved zope-debhelper to Debian would have been
that they could have zope-epoz in a more recent version than they have
now (and we could go through the jungle of the new versioning together).
This might be true for other packages as well.

I do not want you to tell you that cooperation does not work in every
field of packaging.  But there are examples which simply suck and I hope
this can be solved in the future.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--