Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

Debian does, in fact, treat most of its upstreams precisely this way.
If you say "most" can you get a raw percentage of packages / maintainers
which do so?

Debian publishes a large portion of its changes primarily in the form of
monolithic diffs relative to upstream source.
I can here only speak for myself: I foreward any bug report which concerns
upstream directly and file small patches to upstream if I detect problems
personally.  I admit that I so not maintain packages like X, Gnome or KDE,
but I soubt that this "most" is the right term here.

Moreover even if Debian would do so as you state: I see no reason for
others (including Ubuntu) to proceede in this manner if they see that
this is wrong.

Regarding your specific example, I know of no reason why Debian couldn't use
Ubuntu's X.org packages when Debian is ready to make the transition, but in
the end that will be the XSF's decision, not Ubuntu's.
I personally (I'm no XSF member) would surely have a close look at work which
is just done before I would start from scratch.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de