Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

Le Mer 1 Juin 2005 19:25, Matt Zimmerman a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 05:00:31PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > * Stephen Birch
> >
> > | John Goerzen(jgoerzen@complete.org)@2005-06-01 00:06:
> > |
> > | I wonder if it would be an idea to write a tool that compares
> > | Debian and Ubuntu packages and provides a web based view of the
> > | delta so we can track divergence.
> >
> > You mean http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/ongoing-merge/ which has
> > been there for at least half a year?
>
> Or rather http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/patches/ which even
> provides separated patches.

well, this is really nice on the paper (and I really think it). though I
have many concerns with that page :

 (1) this is yet-another-page-to-look-at for packaging.
     for most of the packages, this make this number go from 2 (BTS +
     upstream) to 3. so it's not a big deal.

     But now consider it from my point of view : I'm a member of the
     QT-KDE packaging team, and we have very very hard work in splitting
     the package, make them FHS-compliant, follow the bloated
     bugs.kde.org page, the kde-packagers@kde.org list , our own BTS
     that grows at least exponentially, and yet-another-page-to-look-at
     just make it too many.

     A push method (wrt us) would be better than a pull (from us) one.
     We have not time to pull.

 (2) moreover, when I see patches like [1] I wonder what I can do and
     extract from a bloated 18M patch !

     Note that this is not a "fork" from ubuntu pple, it's just that
     they have made a kde branch pull + some libtool bloating. But lost
     in the middle of those 10-15Mo patches, if there was something
     else, well, I believe everybody understand it's lost

     So it's not only a pull vs. push problem.

I believe, we are in front of the same situation (in some points, not
all) than the khtml developpers vs apple : yes ubuntu gives feedback,
since they give their diffs. but like apple does with the khtml crew,
we have bloated diffs, without *any* comments, and for packages like
ours, it's simply unusable.

IMHO a "saner" method would be to allow pple to easily hook into the SCM
used by the Ubuntu developpers in order to receive the patches done
*incrementaly* + the logs that are with them [2]. Other methods are
nice, but really unusable when the package is a bit big, and that is
those package that often need the more help and need always more
manpower.

  [1] http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/patches/kdelibs/
  [2] there is a lot of ways to do that : rss feeds, ML's, ...
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit