Re: Release update: minor delay; no non-RC fixes; upgrade reports

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 01:40:33AM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:19:48PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 11:04:51PM +1200, Nigel Jones wrote:
>
> > > http://bts.turmzimmer.net/details.php?ignore=sid&ignsec=on&fullcomment=on&new=7
> > >
> > > thats a decent unoffical count...
>
> > ... that doesn't (and can't) in any way address the problem I described
> > in my email.
>
> Couldn't you just pull the changelog entries for each package that differs
> between testing and unstable, pull the 'closes' entries for each of those, and
> "voila"? Grab severities from the BTS, cull those which are still open, and you
> have a "hidden RC bug" count. True, you don't get those which were closed with
> an email to control or -closes, but I'm sure it's only popular with people
> who're already keeping sarge-only bugs open manually, or for non-bugs.
>
> And it's very hard to count bugs that don't appear in the BTS. ^_^
>
> Of course, "voila" may actually take a significant amount of time... but could
> it be slower than the two hours it takes a human to do it?

For http://www.wolffelaar.nl/~sarge, there are already diffs in a
database that are exactly the diffs between sarge & sid changelogs.
Anyway, this problem is already long time known, and the solution will
be implemented post-sarge in the BTS: proper version tracking on the
bugs. For now, we rely indeed on people testing sarge and the
maintainers -- after all, it's actually simply up to the maintainers to
care for the important bugs to be solved in the version of their
packages targetted for a stable release -- whatever any general group
like QA or release management does, if a maintainer for example fixes a
self-discovered RC-bug without actually filing it and ringing any bells
anywhere that an freeze-exception is needed, how can anyone detect this
and act on it? We do have maintainers for a reason.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl