[HELP] libldap2 2.1.30 breakage?, guru for ld.so needed

Hi *,

People following the OpenLDAP packages might remember this change:

  openldap2 (2.1.30-7) unstable; urgency=high

    * Stephen Frost <sfrost@debian.org>
      + debian/move_files: make libldap a symlink to libldap_r, as carrying
	two versions of this library around is more trouble than it's worth,
	and can cause glorious segfaults down the line
	(closes: #306258, #302296, #306546)

At first sight this looked (for me) like making sense and having no
negative implications. Of course reality was different - ldconfig had
problems setting the right symbolic links.

Today I found out the reason. It was not that it just removes symbolic
links it can't make sense of. Rather the problem is that the SONAME of
that library now does not match the name anymore.

libldap.so.2 used to have the SONAME libldap.so.2 as you would expect :)
Now the libldap.so.2 is a symlink to libldap_r.so.2 which has SONAME
libldap_r.so.2.

I wonder which implications that could have when applications are
linking to libldap.so.2 (as the SONAME is no longer found).

Therefore I thought it might be a good idea to relink libldap_r.so.2
using libtool and create libldap.so.2 with matching soname. Now I wonder
what will happen if some program decides he wants to link both
libldap.so.2 and libldap_r.so.2.

Suggestions how to fix that for real before getting sarge out of the
door with this risk that I don't feel I can estimate?

Thanks!

	Torsten