Re: Regarding unresponsive Debian maintainers (was: Re: Open-Source environments for Java)

[Cesar Martinez Izquierdo]
> Remember that Debian maintainers' obligations include to track and
> solve all bugs, not only RC-bugs. If you are in lack of time, please
> consider to accept a co-maintainer or to orphan the package."

I think a lot of maintainers would be happy to accept a co-maintainer
regardless.  Especially if the person who offers has already done some
work in the BTS (helpful comments, patches, possibly even NMUs though
not necessarily) to prove he/she is serious and competent in the
package in question.  Some maintainers might be pig-headed about this,
but I suspect most aren't.  (Of course, if you waltz in out of the blue
and ask to co-maintain something you've shown no evidence of
understanding or caring about, that might be a different matter.)

Thus, if you're concerned about the health of some specific package,
why not just ask the maintainer if you can co-maintain?  It's nice when
a maintainer actively uses a help tag or RFH report, but not strictly
necessary.