Re: RC bug #308477 and MIA maintainer (?)

severity 308477 important
thanks

Hi Fred,

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 02:45:41AM +0200, Frédéric Bothamy wrote:
> I have recently (3 days ago) reported the RC bug #308477 for the
> libtextwrap1 package. As I have not received any answer from the
> maintainer (and there is another older important bug for which he has
> made no comments), I am wondering if:

> - I am not totally wrong on this bug report (I am still unsure about the
>   "Run-time support programs" of the 8.2 section of Debian Policy)
> - the maintainer (Tomohiro Kubota) may be MIA (from what I have found
>   using debian.org website, his last message was in august 2004).

> If both conditions are true, the source package libtextwrap would be a
> good candidate for an NMU (a patch is included in the bug report), but
> it would definitely need some more testing from a DD (removal is
> probably not an option as cdebconf depends on it).

You are correct that it is a policy violation.  However, not all policy
violations are release-critical for a given release; see
<http://release.debian.org/sarge_rc_policy.txt>.  In particular, since there
are no other versions of libtextwrap for us to worry about conflicting with
this /usr/bin/dotextwrap binary, this bug is not RC for sarge because
nothing is broken by it in practice.  Moving the binary to the -dev package
can be done just as well post-sarge whenever libtextwrap2 appears, using the
same Replaces: libtextwrap1 with no ill effects.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer