Re: GPL and linking

On 5/11/05, Raul Miller <moth.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
[an argument, much of which would make sense in a parallel universe
where the GPL is on the law books as 17 USC 666]

I am not a lawyer (or a fortiori a judge), so all that I can do to
explain why this isn't valid legal reasoning is to point you at
documents to which you and I both have access.  To the extent that the
arguments that I have made involve fine points, I have backed them up
with more valid binding case law than you can shake a stick at.  You
have offered me the instruction sheet for a copyright registration
form and some definitions from random online dictionaries.

So I'm not going to say that your point of view isn't perfectly valid
as your own point of view; but I don't have any reason to believe that
it's a good predictor of how a court case involving the FSF suing
FooSoft for linking against GNU readline would be argued.

Cheers,
- Michael