Re: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
>
>> Humberto Massa <humberto.massa@almg.gov.br> writes:
>>
>>> with the possible exception of FAT and Minix. Q: are they used by a
>>> default? A: Last time I installed Debian (15 days ago), it asked me if
>>> I wanted my partition ext3, xfs, or reiserfs IIRC; I chose reiserfs,
>>> and I am pretty sure finding a file in a directory in reiserfs is
>>> O(log n) in the worse case. (Actually, I think that except for HUGE
>>> directories [far larger than /usr/lib] it accesses two or three blocks
>>> of disk in every case, hence being O(1)).
>>
>> How many directory entries do you think fit in a block?
>
> Does that matter?

Not if it's hashed.  (But then why is it O(log n) in the worst case?
That sounds like a search tree strategy, not a hash.)

> PS: I don't know if reiserfs is doing it this way, just wanted to show
> how it could be done.

Right.  I have no doubt it can be done.  It's been done for decades in
non-Unixoid systems.  I'm asking about Debian, here and now, under
default installation options, not under "what can be done" in the
abstract.