Re: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 08:12:38AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:
>
> > We do not have that bug, so it's not important to us.
>
> Still, nobody has said.  What filesystems available on Debian have a
> better than linear search time for open, and are they used by a
> default Debian install?

Who cares? What Debian systems spend a noticable amount of time
waiting for ld to search for libraries? I've never seen ld be anything
less than instantaneous to find libraries, even on old boxes with just
about everything installed. It spends all its time linking, not
waiting for open() to complete.

Arguing about the theoretical performance is a bloody waste of time in
the absence of an actual problem. As I said, we do not have that bug.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |