Re: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> It seems that Red Hat has a lot of programs under /usr/libexec that are
> under /usr/lib in Debian.  One example is /usr/lib/postfix
> vs /usr/libexec/postfix.
>
> It seems to me that /usr/libexec is a better name for such things, and having
> the same directory names used across distributions provides real benefits

The File Hierarchy Standard[0] uses /usr/lib for these kinds of things
and LSB 2.1 explicitly referes to FHS for how the file hierarchy
should be laied out.

So unless Red HAt is pushing for the relevant standards to be changed
I believe we should stick to the standards just so the same directory
names may be used acress distributions.

0) http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLIBLIBRARIESFORPROGRAMMINGANDPA

  /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries
  that are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell
  scripts.

--
 Peter Makholm     |    According to the hacker ethic, the meaning of life
 peter@makholm.net |            is not Friday, but it is not Sunday either