Re: Questions about apt-get upgrade/install semantic

Guido Heumann a écrit :

>Martin Braure de Calignon schrieb:

>>>Possibly because apt-get upgrade is used to upgrade the whole system,
>>>not just one package. My guess is that the developers didn't want to
>>>overload the upgrade command.
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>Daniel
>>>

>>Yes, ok for that. But when I want to upgrade a package, it is not really
>>logical to use "install", because the package is already installed, no ?
>>

>If you think of "upgrading" as "installing the newest version" of a
>package, then it becomes more logical IMO. You can specify the version
>number of a package to be installed with "apt-get install
>package=version", and without explicit version argument it's simply the
>default behaviour to install the newest version.
>
>HTH,
>Guido

If it is the default behaviour of "apt-get install" (and it is), it
should be mentionned in the man, or be mentionned more explicitly. I've
just seen that there is already a bug report about this feature for
upgrade (see #74067).

Cheers,

--
Martin Braure de Calignon
"Debian addict, active member of Amaya (Amayita)'s fan club (and fan of her tatoo)"