Re: Should Debian use lsb init-functions?

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:05:19AM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> I have been looking at the lsb init functions and am beginning to feel
> that they are a bad idea.
> * Converting to lsb init function requires modifying every initscript in
> Debian.

Well, d'oh.

> * Every initscript has to read in a file containing a set of function
> definitions, some/most of which the initscript does not use.

Well, d'oh.

> * The lsb functions don't handle all the kinds of output currently
> produced by initscripts.

That would be a problem, indeed; but I'm sure this isn't an impossible
one to solve.

> * Success/failure status has to be signalled using a special function,
> whereas this information is (or should be) already available as the exit
> status of the initscript.

... and?

> I think it would be better if we simply made rc capture initscripts'
> standard output (and exit status) and formatted it in such a way that
> bootup messages were prettier.

That sounds like an ugly and error-prone hack to me. Not something we
want one of our most important systems to be working with.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond