Re: menu files in /usr/lib?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:41:09PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> I was unable to find an answer online, so please allow me to ask
> here: why are Debian menu files in /usr/lib? They are clear-text and
> thus clearly architecture-independent.

Hello Martin,
Debian has a nice system called the 'Bug tracking system' or BTS for
short, that records problems with packages. For menu the URL is
<http://bugs.debian.org/menu>

The first item listed is '92428: Menu files in /usr/lib/menu violate FHS'
and you can get the log at <http://bugs.debian.org/92428>

> The only explanation I found is that maybe different architectures
> need different commands to be executed, in which case the menu
> format should be extended to allow for arch-specific stuff (IMHO).
>
> Anyway, looking forward to an answer...

The answer you will find in the above URL is

  After some discussion on debian-policy I have decided to
  1) Change menu to read menu files in both /usr/lib/menu and /usr/share/menu
  (/usr/lib/menu having higher priority)

  2) To document this change only after sarge is released so that people
  doing partial upgrade don't get broken menu. Packages for sarge must
  still use /usr/lib/menu.

Generally, I prefer to be CCed question about menu in debian-devel so that
I can answer more easily.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>