Re: Temporal Release Strategy

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 08:12, Patrick A. Ouellette wrote:
> PROPOSAL FOR DISCUSSION:
>
> I suggest we can eliminate the traditional concept of a "release"  with
> the addition of another step in the progression from unstable to
> stable.  Additionally, all promotion of packages from one step to the
> next will be automated according to strict rules.
>
> The progression I see is:
>
> unstable -> testing -> candidate -> stable

I like the spirit of this idea, although I'm sure the details need a lot of
working over. (This could, but wouldn't need to *replace* releases--it
could simply augment the release creation process.)

I'm interested to hear other's ideas on why this is/is not a good idea, and
what technical/logistical hurdles would prevent this from being done.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>