Re: Alternative: Source-Centric Approach [w/code]

> > Your priority are your users, and if Debian has decided to focus
> > only on some key architectures it would be the best for them to
> > help them switching to Gentoo instead of hacking Debian to become
> > some cheap Gentoo clone for most architectures.

> I don't view this as being a cheap Gentoo clone.  In fact, I view
> srcinst as being the Gentoo idea, done right.  Gentoo has a lot of
> problems, especially relating to difficult upgrades.  Because of
> our superior packaging system, we are in a great position to hit
> the ground running and, with a little help from something like
> srcinst, come up with something that works -- and works better than
> Gentoo -- in a short amount of time.

I'm wondering, what happens if you want to install MOST of the deps from source?  Wouldn't it be better to have apt-build (using the "official apt algorithms") ask on a dep-by-dep basis whether you want it compiled from source or installed from a binary?

Even better, would be to allow apt's preferences file to state whether a specific package should be installed from binary or source, and have the stock "apt-get install" do what's appropriate.  With a few options to set the default mode (binary or source), and to overide the mode for specific packages.  And of course, last but not least, apt should keep the package comming from the same source unless specifically changed.

Now, if only apt-get understood that a pacakge may be available from more than one mirror at a time...

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com