aptitude 0.2.15.9 & apt 0.6

     We interrupt your regularly scheduled flamewar to bring you this
hemi-important announcement.

  I just uploaded aptitude 0.2.15.9 to Incoming.  Most of the changes in this
version are translation updates, but I also included a backport of the
apt-secure enhancements that were previously only available in experimental
(including, as a special-freebie-never-before-seen-bonus, trust checking at
the command-line).   Since unstable's apt doesn't support these features,
they are not compiled into the package by default, but they will be enabled
if you recompile the source package on a system with a newer libapt-pkg-dev
installed.  As a convenience, I have uploaded packages for i386, compiled
against the current experimental apt, to http://people.debian.org/~dburrows.

  I'm doing this for two reasons:

   (a) There is an ongoing effort to get apt 0.6 into sarge.  While it seems
to be a long shot, I can now say with some confidence that simply recompiling
aptitude will be enough to manage that transition.  (aptitude could be "just
recompiled" in the past, but it didn't support the security features of 0.6,
making the whole exercise kinda pointless)

   (a) Assuming, as seems likely, that apt 0.6 doesn't make it into sarge, I
want it to be easy for security-conscious users to get a reasonably stable
aptitude that supports apt-secure stuff (I doubt they want to be running
experimental branches and so forth).

  If you find problems with the apt-secure stuff -- there are open questions
regarding corner cases in the trust handling, for instance -- please report
them via the BTS so they don't get lost when I get eaten by my thesis again.
Thanks.

      Transmission ends.  Go back to making the world a better place by
tearing each other to pieces.  Or something.

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> ------------------\
|           The thing that really depresses me about my cynicism            |