Re: update-menus runs in the background?

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 09:08:10PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> It seems that /usr/bin/update-menus now runs in the background.  I ran
> sudo apt-et install glade, and after it finished, I ran ps -ef |tail
> -5, and the last commands running were update-menus.real, and
> install-menu.
>
> Is it supposed to be a background job, and, if so, why?

It's always done this, as far as I know (FSVO "always"). It's a very old
hack to speed up upgrades by making update-menus only run once at the
end of the whole upgrade run, by checking for the dpkg lock and
backgrounding itself if it's there and if there isn't already an
update-menus process waiting.

It could be an apt DPkg::Post-Invoke hook, but this is no good for
people running 'dpkg -i' directly; really, it's an ideal use case for
the as-yet-unimplemented dpkg trigger mechanism, which I believe Scott
plans on implementing.